With the reveal of Citroën Berlingo Multispace, the brand is updating an icon in the ‘Leisure Activity Vehicle’ (LAV) segment, which it created 22 years ago. The new model, which will make its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show next month (March), offers an optimum combination of design, comfort and ease of use.
NEW GENERATION OF CITROEN BERLINGO MULTISPACE
Berlingo is a benchmark model, which in some countries is the name used to refer to the segment, in the same way that ‘Googling’ is used to refer to a web search. With three independent rear seats, the Modutop® multi-function roof and an opening rear window built into the tailgate, New Berlingo Multispace continues to be a major player in the segment. The versatile and practical model has seen many innovations over time, to ensure it always stood apart and remained the leader in its market.
With this latest version, the Berlingo Multispace has been transformed, once again, to bring motorists even more style, comfort and functionality.
A LIKEABLE PERSONALITY
In step with Citroën’s other recent creations, New Berlingo Multispace disrupts in terms of style and brings a breath of fresh air to the segment. Citroën has made in-depth upgrades to its new model, which stands apart through its original body styling as well as its robust, flowing and non-aggressive design.
New Citroën Berlingo Multispace was created by the Citroën Style team, led by Alexandre Malval. The team has designed a new-generation model with an expressive appearance, while adding the bold characteristics of the brand. The entirely renewed model successfully and stylishly blends personality, practicality and comfort.
Taking inspiration from the world of furniture and travel, the designers developed the interior to be functional and high quality. They have used soft and warm materials to make the occupants ‘feel good’. The interior is available with new trims and a varied set of colours, corresponding to several interior ambiances:
- The ‘Standard’ ambience with a pure look and touches of Grey and Laurel Green
- The ‘Metropolitan Grey’ ambience with Grey Cloth enhanced by a strip of bold Summertime Green. A turquoise shade harmonises with a China Grey dashboard, providing a sense of well-being and modernity
- The‘Wild Green’ ambience is specific to the XTR Pack. Synonymous with adventure, it features Green Cloth and an Orange strip, contrasting with a Green striped pattern.
For the first time in its history, New Citroën Berlingo Multispace is available in two sizes, with balanced proportions and design. The standard M size model keeps its compact shape and agility, measuring 2cm longer than the previous generation at 4.40m, with a 2.78m wheelbase. The lengthened XL version adds an extra 35cm for a total length of 4.75m and a 2.97m wheelbase. More versatile than ever, with the possibility of transporting five or seven passengers, New Citroën Berlingo Multispace brings a new response to the needs of families and friends, giving them a choice between spaciousness and boot volume depending on their activities.
WELLBEING ON BOARD
New Citroën Berlingo Multispace is bathed in light in the cabin, thanks to 6.4m2 of glass. This includes a wide windscreen, side windows and rear quarter-lights. Combined with the Modutop® (depending on the version), the large panoramic sunroof floods the cabin with even more natural light and can be covered with an electric sun blind. For even more well-being and comfort at night, New Citroën Berlingo Multispace is also equipped with individual reading lights for the rear seats and now boasts ambient lighting that enhances the translucent part of the storage arch.
From the very first design drawings and technical choices, user-friendly storage compartments and useful spaces were central to the thoughts of the designers, the aim being to provide occupants with true freedom of movement and an emphatic sense of well-being. With a total of 28 storage spaces for 186-litres of interior storage space, each cubby and pocket is more capacious and ingenious than the last and all hold immense appeal to customers.
Citroën’s new leisure activity vehicle is a reassuring car, equipped with a set of highly useful modern technologies, including 19 driving assistance systems and manoeuvring aids. They also enhance safety and reduces the risk of accidents:
- Colour Head-up Display: A system that provides the driver with useful driving information in their field of view. Projected in colour on a retractable head-up screen, this information (speed, cruise control and speed limiter etc.), is constantly available to the driver without them having to look away from the road
- Lane Departure Warning System: LDWS protects against driver fatigue at the wheel or a simple moment of inattention when travelling above 40mph (65km/h). The system detects the accidental crossing of road markings when the indicator has not been activated, and warns the driver with a sound alert and a message on the instrument cluster. If the driver wishes to control the vehicle’s direction, he or she can block the corrective procedure by firmly holding the wheel (for example, when avoiding another vehicle). The corrective procedure is interrupted when an indicator is activated
- Driver Attention Alert: Alerts drivers in the event of decreased vigilance. The system assesses the driver’s alertness by identifying trajectory anomalies in relation to road markings using a camera at the top of the windscreen. The feature is especially suited to fast roads over 40mph (65km/h)
- Coffee Break Alert: Tells drivers when it is time to take a break after they have driven for two hours at speeds above 40mph (65km/h)
- Speed Sign Recognition and Recommendation: Automatically detects and reads certain road signs, including speed limit signs and end of speed limit signs using the multi-function camera located in the upper part of the windscreen. An image of the detected sign and the authorised maximum speed detected by the camera are displayed on the 3.5-inch colour matrix in the instrument cluster, and on the Head-up display. The information is updated when a driver passes a speed limit sign and the system also takes the speed limit into account in the navigation system
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop function (EAT8 auto): This system provides two functions using the multi-function camera, automatically maintaining vehicle speed consistent with the driver’s setting and automatically adjusting the distance between the vehicle in front. The system detects a vehicle driving in front of the car in the same direction. It automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to that of the vehicle in front, using the engine and the braking system to maintain a constant distance:
- If the vehicle in front is moving more slowly, the system can slow the vehicle down to 19mph (30km/h) with a manual gearbox and can bring the vehicle to a complete halt with the EAT8 automatic gearbox
- If the vehicle in front speeds up or changes lane, the cruise control system gradually accelerates to return to the set speed
- If the driver activates the indicator to overtake a slower vehicle, the system authorises them to temporarily move closer to the vehicle in front to help them overtake, without exceeding the set speed
- Blind Spot Monitoring System: This system uses lights in the wing mirrors to warn the driver if a vehicle is present in their blind spot
- Active Safety Brake: An emergency brake system that reduces the risk of collision from ahead via a sound and visual alert. The system brakes automatically in place of the driver if they fail to react in a timely manner. The multi-purpose camera at the top of the windscreen detects obstacles, for example a vehicle moving in the same direction or at a standstill. When travelling at speeds between 3mph (5km/h) and 53mph (85km/h), the system is automatically activated when a risk of collision with another moving vehicle is detected. The system also operates below 50mph (80km/h) when a vehicle at a standstill is detected and below 37mph (60km/h) when a pedestrian is detected
- Post Collision Safety Brake: This system works using the brakes after an accident and serves to limit damage
- Intelligent Beam Headlights: A system that automatically activates high and low-beam headlights at night depending on the lighting conditions and surrounding traffic
- Cornering Light Function: This system uses the steering wheel angle when the vehicle is travelling above 25mph (40km/h). The left or right front fog light activate in addition to the main headlamps to illuminate up to a 75° angle to the right or left of the vehicle
- Keyless Entry and Start: For locking, unlocking and starting the vehicle without using the key. The car recognises the driver as they approach the front door handles or boot with their hand
- Hill Start Assist: To make hill starts easier, this system prevents any undesired vehicle movement on inclines when the brake pedal is released. The function activates on inclines of over 3% by holding the vehicle for two seconds
- Flankguard: Informs the driver of the proximity of objects to the side of the manoeuvring vehicle by memorising the data recorded by sensors located in the front and rear bumpers, combined with the vehicle trajectory
- Reversing Camera with Top Rear Vision: This system displays the area immediately around the vehicle using a 180° panoramic camera. It is supplemented by the Park Assist system, which provides drivers with a visual and sound alert to avoid obstacles in the close vicinity of the vehicle. The screen splits into two, with the left side showing the space around the vehicle, and the right side displaying the rear view from top of the vehicle. Different views of the vehicle’s surroundings can be displayed on the driver’s request: a standard view, a 180° view and a zoom view (this last is automatically displayed when the car nears an obstacle)
- Trailer Stability Control: On models equipped with a tow hook (factory option), New Citroën Berlingo Multispace is equipped with a towed-object stabiliser. Supplementing the ESP® system, this function detects any unwanted movement from the trailer. The system stabilises the trailer by working the brakes and, where necessary, reducing engine power to slow the vehicle down. It detects the towed object when its electric connection is hooked up to the vehicle
- Electric Parking Brake: A feature that automatically activates when the engine is switched off, automatically releases when the vehicle moves forward or manually by a pull on the control paddle
- Grip Control® with Hill Descent Assist: Providing grip in all conditions, Grip Control® adapts the traction of the front wheels to the type of road surface. Drivers select one of five modes, Standard, Snow, Mud, Sand or ESP OFF, using the thumbwheel on the central console. Combined with Grip Control®, Hill Descent Assist maintains the car at a reduced speed on steep inclines. The technology keeps the vehicle on the right trajectory, while limiting the risk of slippage or acceleration as the car descends slopes, in forward or reverse gear
- Park Assist: Makes manoeuvring easier and safer when parking. This system provides active assistance for parallel and perpendicular parking. On the driver’s request, the system automatically detects a parking space then safely steers the car into it.
A WIDE RANGE OF ENGINES
With its uncompromising blend of design, comfort and practicality, the new Citroën Berlingo Multispace offers dynamic handling and true driving pleasure thanks to its new lightweight and efficient platform, and high-performance latest-generation engines with low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
Available with a range of petrol and diesel powerplants adapted to all types of use, in town and the country, the engines deliver outstanding performance while respecting the environment.
New Citroën Berlingo Multispace also sees the introduction of the 8-speed EAT8 automatic gearbox that enhances driving pleasure over any distance travelled.
New Citroën Berlingo Multispace will be on the road later this year. To register an interest or find out more visit FCS Vehicle Solutions or call 01235 773633.